I am amazed with the taste, still cannot believe that this cake made from no eggs.
This is my 1st trial from this vegan book.
My hubby & I, felt this cake was very sweet at the beginning (after sometimes cool from the cooling rack), but after I kept in the fridge and had them for breakfast, the sweetness was ok.
I used margarine instead of oil & for the icing, I used only fresh strawberry & blend them together with butter & icing sugar.
GOLDEN VANILLA CUPCAKES
makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup soy milk - I used natural milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar - I used normal vinegar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (increase salt to 1/2 tsp if u´re using oil instead of margarine)
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened,or 1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract,or more vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled
3. If using margarine : Sift the flour,cornstarch,baking powder & baking soda, salt into a large bowl & mix
4. In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream margarine & sugar for bout 2 minutes until light & fluffy,but dont beat past two minutes.
Beat in the vanila & other extract,if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture & dry ingredients,stopping to scrap the sides of the bowl a few times.
5. If using oil : Beat together the soy milk mixture,oil,sugar,vanilla, and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch,baking powder,soda& salt &mix until no large lumps remain.
6. Fill cupcake liners-two thirds of the way and bake for 20-22 minutes till done.
Transfer to cooling rack & let cool completely before frosting.